A former name retained.
(IX‑74: dp. 464; l. 156'; b. 36'; dr. 11'9"; s. 7.5 k.)
Metha Nelson (IX‑74), completed by H. D. Hendrixsen, Eureka, Calif., in 1896, was purchased from Metro‑Goldwyn‑Mayer 11 June 1942; converted by the Craig Shipyard, Long Beach, Calif.; and placed on service 25 September 1943.
Prior to her acquisition by the Navy, Metha Nelson, originally a wooden‑hulled sailing schooner, had hauled cargo, primarily lumber, from Maine to Singapore, and had appeared in several movies. Included in her movie credits was the portrayal of Captain Bligh’s ship in “Mutiny on the Bounty” (1935). Charged with the identification of all ships trafficking in and out of Los Angeles, she lay off the city for the duration of her naval service, acting as pilot ship also.
Placed out of service 25 September 1945, she was struck from the Navy Register 24 October 1945, turned over to WSA a week later, and resold to her former owner.