Metal electrically charged so as to attract other metal. The first Magnet retained her former name.
(YDG‑9: dp. 640; l. 184,'6"; b. 34'; dr. 9'; a. 1 3", 4 20 mm.; s. 14 k.; cpl. 51; cl. YDG‑8)
The third Magnet (YDG‑9) was laid down as PCE‑879, 27 May 1943, by the Albina Engine & Machine Works, Portland, Oreg.; launched 30 September 1943; reclassified YDG‑9, 23 December 1943; and commissioned 10 July 1944.
Following shakedown and training out of San Pedro, YDG‑9 continued operations on the west coast, first for the 11th Naval District and then as a unit or ServRon 8. Later assigned to SevRon 6 to service, in close proximity, the striking forces as they moved closer to Japan, she established and operated degaussing ranges and provided facilities for inspection, calibration, and adjustment of shipboard degaussing equipment in forward areas, primarily for minesweepers. After the war ended, she operated with mine groups at Okinawa and, after 29 January 1946, at Sasebo, Japan, as those groups cleared the waters to allow safe passage to both military and merchant shipping. Returning to the United States later in the year, she decommissioned 11 December 1946 at San Diego, where she remains berthed, into 1969, as a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. After entering the Reserve Fleet, YDG‑9 was reclassified ADG‑9, 1 November 1947, and named Magnet, 1 February 1955.