Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Mackerel

 

An edible fish of the North Atlantic.

 

II

 

(SST‑1: dpl. 250; l. 131'3"; b. 13'7"; dr. 12'2"; a. 10 k.; cpl. 18; a. 121" tt.; cl. T‑1)

 

T‑1 (SST‑1), originally planned as AGSS‑570, was laid down 1 April 1952 by the Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics Corp., Groton, Conn.; launched 17 July 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Charles R. Muir; and placed in service 9 October 1953, Lt, J. M. Snyder, Jr., in command.

 

After completing trials in the New London and Massachusetts Bay areas, T‑1 departed, in February 1954, for Key West, Fla. Arriving at Key West, she commenced operations with submarine and antisubmarine forces in the southern Florida‑Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, areas. Effective 15 July 1956, T‑1 was renamed Mackerel and has continued to operate with the submarine and antisubmarine forces up to‑the present.

 

In addition to fleet exercises and regular overhauls, breaks in her target and training assignment have included a continuous sea run from Key West to Annapolis, Md., in April 1957, and several cruises testing new equipment. In 1963, Mackerel conducted the first of her test and evaluation voyages. Departing Key West 8 July, she sailed to the British West Indies where she tested acoustical developments in submarine hulls for a 2‑week period. She again operated in the West Indies in February 1964.

 

Commencing her third assignment as a special project ship, Mackerel was at Groton, Conn. 27 April 1966 receiving new equipment. Returning to Key West 26 June, she began experimental work associated with the development of future submersibles. She continued this special work until March 1967 when, with the removal of part of the special project equipment, Mackerel returned to her normally assigned mission of training for Fleet Sonar School, Key West. At the same time she undertook the additional task of providing shiphandling training for submarine force junior officers. During June and July 1967, while in drydock at Key West, additional special project equipment was removed. Throughout 1968, and into 1969, Mackerel continues to provide valuable training for both the submarine and antisubmarine forces of the U.S. Fleet.