Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Macaw

 

A large, bright‑colored, harsh‑voiced parrot of Central and South America.

 

(ASR‑11: dp. 1,780; l. 251'4"; b. 42'; dr. 14'3"; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 102; a. 2 3", 2 dct.; cl. Chanticleer)

 

Macaw was laid down 15 October 1941 by the Moore Dry Dock Co., Oakland, Calif.; launched 12 July 1942; sponsored by Miss Valnessa Easton of Berkeley, Calif.; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. P. W. Burton in command.

 

Departing California 28 August 1943, after shakedown and training exercises, Macaw steamed in convoy to Espiritu Santo, arriving 2 October. Thence proceeding to Funafuti, via Wallis Island, she charted previously unknown reefs. She anchored off Funafuti on the 16th and remained until 13 November when she was ordered back to Pearl Harbor. Spending only a short time in Hawaii, Macaw departed for Midway Island where she grounded, 16 January 1944, in an attempt to assist the submarine Flier, then aground on a coral reef. Salvage attempts were unsuccessful and on the night of 12 and 13 February 1944 Macaw breached and slid into deep water. Five of her crew, including the commanding officer, were lost.

 

Macaw was struck from the Navy list 25 March 1944.

 

Macaw was awarded one battle star for World War II service.