Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Macabi

 

Fish (Albula vulpes) occurring in tropical seas and off the American coasts as far north as San Diego and Long Island and reaching a length of 3 feet.


(SS‑375: dp. 1,526 (surf.), 2,424 (subm.); l. 311'9"; b. 27'3"; dr. 15'3"; s. 20.25 k. (surf.), 8.75 k. (subm.); cpl. 66; a. 15", 1 40mm., 1 20mm., 2.50 cal. mg., 10 21" tt.; cl. Balao)


Macabi (SS‑375) was laid down 1 May 1944 by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, Wis.; launched 19 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Arthur S. Carpender, wife of Rear Admiral Carpender; and commissioned 29 March 1945, Comdr. Anthony H. Dropp In command.


Following trials on Lake Michigan, Macabi, on 19 April, entered a floating drydock at Lockport, Ill., to transit the Chicago Canal to the Mississippi River, and arrived New Orleans 26 April. Three days later she left for shakedown operations off Panama.


On 3 June Macabi departed Balboa, Canal Zone, for final training at Pearl Harbor before departing 9 July for the Caroline Islands via Guam, Marianas. She went on lifeguard station off Truk on arriving 21 July. Some 10 days later Macabi was forced to dive to avoid two aerial bombs off Moen Island.


She returned to Apra Harbor, Guam, for repairs 4 August through 13 August; and was on her way back to Truk when hostilities with Japan were terminated. Macabi was then ordered home, touching Pearl Harbor 27 to 29 August on the way. Arriving San Francisco 5 September, she entered Mare Island Navy Yard 12 December for inactivation overhaul and decommissioned 16 June 1946.


Macabi was lent to Argentina under the Military Assistance Program 11 August 1960, and served under the name Santa Fe (S-11) into the 1970s. Struck from the Navy List on 1 September 1971, the boat was later sold to Argentina. By 1975, Santa Fe was laid up at Puerto Belgrano and stripped for spare parts.


Partial update 12 June 2007