M. W. Chapin
A former name retained.
M. W. Chapin., a one‑gun screw steamer, was built at Philadelphia, Pa., in 1856; chartered by the Navy for the Expedition to Paraguay 17 October 1858 into February 1859; Lt. W. Rockendorff in command; and, upon return, commissioned as Anacostia (q.v.) 28 July 1859. Decommisioned 12 June 1865, the tender was sold to Mr. Clyde at Washington, D.C., 20 July 1865 and renamed Alexandria 26 December 1865.