M. J. Scanlon
M. J. Scanlon, a cargo ship, was built in 1918 by New York Shipbuilding Co., Camden, N.J.; acquired by the Navy from the U.S. Shipping Board 23 September 1918, and commissioned at Philadelphia the same day, Lt. Cmdr. Anton Hopen, USNRF, in command.
On 26 September H. J. Scanlon steamed to Norfolk where she loaded a cargo of Army supplies. Thence, in mid-October, she sailed to New York to joint a convoy to Europe. Departing New York 1 November, she reached St. Nazaire, France, the 18th, a week after the Armistice, and discharged her cargo. She took on ballast and coal at Brest early in December and on the 3d sailed for the United States, arriving New York the 20th. M. J. Scanlon returned to Philadelphia 7 January 1919, and decommissioned there 27 January 1919. Returned to the USSB, she was sold to Hammond Lumber Co. in 1926 and renamed Missoula.