Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-50

 

LST-50 was laid down on 29 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 16 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Tito Tarquinio; and commissioned on 27 November 1943.

 

The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 15 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 18 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-50 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946.

 

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 6 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 September 1952. On 14 November 1952, she was redesignated ARB-13 and transferred to Norway as Ellida, (A-534). She was returned to the United States on 1 July 1960 but was retrans-ferred to Greece on 16 September 1960, and served with the Greek Navy as Sakipia (A-329).

 

LST-50 earned three battle stars for World War II service.