LST-49 was laid down on 17 August 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 9 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Kathryn Saban; and commissioned on 20 November 1943.
The tank landing ship was initially assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion between 6 and 25 June 1944 and the invasion of southern France between 16 August and 25 September 1944. She was later transferred to the Asiatic-Pacific theater of operations where she took part in the Okinawa assault between 8 and 30 June 1945. Following the war, LST-49 performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until mid-March 1946.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 11 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. She was sold to Bosey, Philippines, on 4 December 1947.
LST-49 earned three battle stars for World War II