LST-44 was laid down on 7 July 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 11 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. F. E. Haeberle; and commissioned on 22 October 1943.
During World War II, LST-44 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the Normandy invasion from 6 to 25 June 1944. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East and service in China until mid-February 1946.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 20 February 1946. In 1947, she was transferred to the United States Army and was destroyed on 23 July 1947, cannibalized and scrapped. On 28 August 1947, her name was struck from the Navy list.
LST-44 earned one battle star for World War II service.