LST-40 was laid down on 3 June 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 7 August 1943; sponsored by Miss Hilda Sambolt; and commissioned on 15 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-40 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of the Solomon Islands:
(a) Consolidation of southern Solomons—June 1943
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and August 1944
Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944
Okinawa Gunto operation:
(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—May 1945
Following the war, LST-40 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 February 1946. In February 1947, she was transferred to the United States Military Government, Korea, as a sale, and was struck from the Navy list on 5 March that same year.
LST-40 earned four battle stars for World War II service.