LST-39 was laid down on 23 April 1943 by the Dravo Corp. at Pittsburgh, Pa.; launched on 29 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. L. A. Mertz; and commissioned on 8 September 1943. She was assigned to the Pacific area during World War II but saw no combat action. She sank in the summer of 1944, and she was struck from the Navy list on 18 July 1944. She was later refloated, converted to a spare parts issue barge, and redesignated YF-1079. She served the Navy in that capacity until sometime between July 1945 and January 1946, by which time YF-1079 disappeared from the Navy list.