LST-38 was laid down on 14 April 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 27 July 1943; sponsored by Miss Bertha Karpinski; and commissioned on 3 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-38 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Admiralty Islands landings—March and April 1944
Hollandia operation—April 1944 Marianas operation:
(a) Capture and occupation of Guam—July 1944
Following the war, LST-38 was redesignated LSTH-38 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 26 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to the Ships and Power Equipment Co., of Barber, N.J., and subsequently scrapped.
LSTH-38 earned four battle stars for World War II service as LST-38.