Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-29

 

LST-29 was laid down on 8 January 1943 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 17 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. F. Lockton; and commissioned on 10 July 1943.

 

During World War II, LST-29 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

 

Gilbert Islands operation—November and December 1943

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—January and February 1944

(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll—February and March 1944

Marianas operation:

(a).Capture and occupation of Guam—July and August 1944

Okinawa Gunto operation:

(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto—May 1945

 

LST-29 was decommissioned on 11 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 17 June 1946, she was sold to the Foss Launch & Tug Co., of Seattle, Wash.

 

LST-29 earned four battle stars for World War II service.