Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-26

 

LST-26 was laid down on 16 November 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 31 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Mathilda B. Coulter; and commissioned on 7 June 1943.

 

During World War II, LST-26 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations :

 

Bismarck Archipelago operation:

(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943 and January 1944

Hollandia operation—April and May 1944 Western New Guinea operations:

(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation—May 1944

(b) Biak Island operation—May and June 1944

(c) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944

(d) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944

(e).Mprotai landings—September 1944

Leyte landings—October and November 1944 Consolidation of the southern Philippines:

(a)    Mindanao Island landings—March 1945

 

She saw service in China from 3 to 10 October 1945.

 

Following the war, LST-26  performed  occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946 and was sold to Arctic Circle Exploration, Seattle, Wash., on 17 June 1946 to be converted for merchant service.

 

LST-26 earned five battle star for World War II service.