Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

LST-23

 

LST-23 was laid down on 27 October 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 13 March 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Mary H. Miller; and commissioned on 22 May 1943.

 

During World War II, LST-23 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations :

 

Gilbert Islands operation—November and December 1943

Marshall Islands operation:

(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls—February 1944

Marianas operation:

(b) Capture and occupation of Saipan—June and July 1944

Tinian capture and occupation—July 1944

Western Caroline Islands operation:

(a)    Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands—September and October 1944

Lingayen landings on Luzon—January 1945.

 

On 15 September 1945, she was redesignated LSTH. Immediately after the war, LSTH-23 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 24 May 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946 and was sold to the Kaiser Co., Inc., Seattle, Wash., on 6 April 1948 for scrapping.

 

LSTH-23 earned six battle stars for World War II service as LST-23.