LST-22 was laid down on 5 November 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 29 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. A. Barnes; and commissioned on 29 May 1943, Lt. L. N. Ditlefsen, USCG, in command.
During World War II, LST-22 served in the Asiatic-Pacific theater and took part in the following operations :
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Saidor occupation—January and February 1944
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a) Cape Gloucester, New Britain—December 1943, January and February 1944
(b) Admiralty Islands landings—March and April 1944
Hollandia operation—April and May 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation—May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation—May and June 1944
(c) Noemfoor Island operation—July 1944
(d) Cape Sansapor operation—July and August 1944
(e) Morotai landings—September 1944
Leyte landings—October and November 1944
Lingayen landings on Luzon—January 1945
LST-22 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 1 April 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 17 April 1946 and was sold to Ming-Sung Industrial Co., Ltd., of Shanghai, China, on 3 February 1947 to be converted for merchant service.
LST-22 earned six battle stars for World War II service.