LST-17 was laid down on 21 September 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 8 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Sarah H. Bankson; and commissioned on 19 April 1943, Lt. H. B. Gallagher, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-17 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operation:
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-17 performed occupation duty in the Far East intermittently from September through December 1945. She was decommissioned on 15 January 1946. On 15 November 1954, she was transferred to Commandant, 13th Naval District, for use as a mobile target, and was sunk on 15 August 1956 by torpedo fire.
LST-17 earned one battle star for World War II