LST-16 was laid down on 1 September 1942 at Wilmington, Del., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 19 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Lois M. Alexander; and commissioned on 17 March 1943.
During World War II, LST-16 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
North African occupation:
(a) Tunisian operations—July 1943
Sicilian occupation—September 1943
Salerno landings—September 1943
West coast of Italy operations:
(a) Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings—January and February 1944
Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
Following the war, LST-16 performed occupation duty in the Far East in September and November 1945. She was decommissioned on 8 March 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 12 April 1946. On 5 December 1947, she was sold to Ships and Power Equipment Co., of Barber, N.J., for scrapping.
LST-16 earned five battle stars for World War II service.