LST-5 was laid down on 12 July 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 3 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Wanetta Rose Barker; and commissioned on 22 February 1943.
During World War II, LST-5 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation—July 1943 Salerno landings—September 1943 Invasion of Normandy—June 1944
LST-5 was decommissioned sometime after World War II ended and was struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1947. On 7 October 1947, she was sold to the Tung Hwa Trading Co., of Singapore, for scrapping.
LST-5 earned three battle stars for World War II