The virtue of being faithful; fidelity.
(AMc‑88: dp. 195; l. 97'1"; b. 22'; dr. 9'; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .50 cal. AA mg., 2 .30 cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
The first Loyalty (AMc‑88) was laid down by F. L. Fulton, Antioch, Calif., 8 May 1941; launched 23 August 1941; sponsored by Mrs. Donald Noackk; and placed in service 17 January 1942.
Assigned to the 14th Naval District, Loyalty performed patrol and minesweeping operations out of Pearl Harbor. She was commissioned 15 December 1944, Lt. Robert H. Grayson in command. Following conversion to an underwater location ship, Loyalty sailed 1 May 1945 for the western Pacific. After touching Eniwetok, Guam, and Saipan, the minesweeper arrived Okinawa 18 June.
Throughout the summer, Loyalty operated out of Okinawa on various underwater demolition and salvage missions. Her duties included the blasting of a sunken Japanese ammunition ship and the removal of 40 depth charges from a sunken enemy destroyer. She remained in the western Pacific after V‑J Day. While en route to Unten Ko, Okinawa, 16 September, she struck a reef and grounded. Loyalty decommissioned 4 December 1945 and was struck from the Navy list the 19th. She was destroyed 12 January 1946.
Loyalty received one battle star for World War II service.