A British name retained. Sir Thomas Louis (1759‑1809) commanded HMS Minotaur during Nelsonís significant victory over the French in the Battle of the Nile at Aboukir Bay 1 August 1798.
(DE‑517: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21.5 k.; cpl. 198; a. 3 3", 9 20mm., 2 dct., 4 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.); cl. Evarts)
DE‑517 was laid down by the Boston Navy Yard 9 July 1943; launched 13 August 1943; transferred to the United Kingdom under lend lease 9 November 1943; and commissioned as HMS Louis (K‑515) the same day. She served the Royal Navy during the remainder of World War II. As a frigate, she operated on convoy escort and ASW patrols in the Bay of Biscay, the North Atlantic, and Arctic waters. After the Allied victory in Europe, the British returned her to the custody of the U.S. Navy at Philadelphia 20 March 1946. She was sold to the State of Pennsylvania 17 June 1946.