Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Loring

 

A British name retained, Sir John Loring (1775‑1852) commanded HMS Niobe from 1805 to 1813.

 

(DE‑520: dp. 1,140; 1 l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21.5 k.; cpl. 198; a. 3 3", 9 20mm., 2 dct., 4 dcp., 1 dcp., (h.h.) cl. Evarts)

 

DE‑520 was laid down by Boston Navy Yard 18 July, 1943; launched 30 July 1943; transferred to the United Kingdom under lend lease 27 November 1943; and commissioned as HMS Loring (K‑ 565) the same day. During the remainder of World War II she served the Royal Navy as a frigate and patrolled the Allied convoy routes in the eastern Atlantic for German U‑boats. After the war, she was returned to the custody of the United States 7 January 1947 while still in the United Kingdom and was sold for scrap.