Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lorain County (LST-1177)

 

Lorain County (LST-1177) (q.v.) was named after a county in Ohio. She was laid down on 9 August 1956 at Lorain, Ohio, by the American Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 22 June 1957; sponsored by Mrs. Albert D. Baumhart, Jr.; and commissioned on 3 October 1958, Lt. Comdr. Robert E. DuBois in command.

 

From the time of commissioning, Lorain County spent her entire period of active service with the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. For 14 years, she engaged in amphibious operations along the east coast of the United States supplemented with extended operations in the Caribbean and regular deployments as a unit of the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. Decommissioned on 1 September 1972, the tank landing ship was assigned to the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Norfolk, Va.