Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Longspur

 

A bird related to the sparrow and finch. They breed in the Arctic and winter over a large part of the United States.

 

II

 

(LCI(L)-884; dp. 206; l. 159'; b. 23'8"; dr. 6'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 239; a. 5 20mm.; cl. LCI(L)-351)

 

The second Longspur was laid down as LCI(L)‑884 by New Jersey Shipbuilding Co., Barber, N.J., 22 September 19"; launched 20 October 1944; and commissioned 27 October 1944, Lt. (jg.) R. G. Townsend in command.

 

After shakedown LCI(L)‑884 departed Norfolk 25 November, steamed through the Panama Canal, and arrived San Diego 20 December. Following additional training off the west coast, the landing craft sailed 6 March 1945 for the Marianas, arriving Guam 8 April. Two weeks later she was en route to Okinawa, where U.S. Forces were already engaged in the most extensive campaign of the Pacific war.

 

Upon her arrival 28 April LCI(L)‑884 was assigned mail delivery and smoke station duty for large ships operating off Okinawa. She remained in the vicinity for the rest of the war, playing an important part for the fleet in aiding it against the victorious struggle against the Japanese Empire.

 

After the war she operated as a mine destruction vessel out of Nagasaki and Sasebo, remaining in Japan until December. Early in 1946, LCI(L)‑884 returned to the United States and decommissioned 24 March 1947, joining the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla. She was reclassified LSIL‑884 28 February 1949.

 

LSIL‑884 was named and redesignated Longspur (AMCU‑28) 7 March 1952. Recommissioned in June 1952, Longspur was assigned to the 6th Naval District for harbor defense. Reclassified MHC‑28 on 7 February 1953, she continued operations out of Charleston until I January 1954. Decommissioned the first of the year, she joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Charleston, S.C. Struck 1 January 1960, Longspur was sold to Mills Marine Co., 18 May 1960 and was towed away for scrap 22 June 1960.

 

LCI(L)‑884 received one battle star for World War II service.