A merchant name retained.
(T‑AO‑161: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'2"; dr. 30'2"; s. 14 k.; cl. Cumberland; T.T2‑SE‑A1)
Lone Jack (T‑AO‑161) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pa., 11 July 1944; launched 21 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Julia W. Bruwier; and delivered to Cities Service Oil Co. of New York City 31 October 1944.
During and after World War II Lone Jack steamed the sealanes as a merchant tanker. Prior to 1956 she was acquired by the Maritime Administration as a “trade in” ship and placed in the National Defense Reserve, Fleet at Beaumont, Tex.
After the opening of hostilities between Great Britain, France, and Israel on one side and Egypt on the other late in October 1956, the United States moved to stabilize this dangerous threat to world peace in the Middle East. The mighty 6th Fleet steamed to the eastern Mediterranean, and following the closing of the Suez Canal 1 November, the Maritime Administration reactivated Lone Jack for emergency tanker service. Acquired by the Navy 28 November, she was transferred to MSTS at New Orleans, La., 15 January 1957.
Lone Jack was operated under General Agency Agreement by Marine Transport Lines, Inc., of New York City. From January to October 1957 she carried oil shipments from ports in the Persian Gulf to American bases in Japan and the western Pacific. During April and May she circumnavigated the globe while carrying fuel to the Mediterranean and the Far East. Transferred to the Maritime Administration 7 October, she entered the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. On 10 June 1966 she was transferred to the Army for use as a floating power station along the coast of South Vietnam.