Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Loganís Fort

 

A merchant name retained.

 

(T-AO-160: dp. 21,880; l. 524'; b. 68'2"; dr. 30'2"; s. 14 k.; cl. Cumberland; T. T2-SE-A1)

 

Loganís Fort (T-AO-160) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pa., 14 December 1944; launched 30 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Norman Fisher; and delivered to Bernuth, Lembeke Co., Inc., New York, N.Y., 11 April 1945.

 

During and after World War II Loganís Fort operated as a merchant tanker, and prior to 1956 she was acquired by the Maritime Administration and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet. Following the eruption of hostilities between Britain, France, and Israel on the one side And Egypt on the other 29 October 1956 and the subsequent closing of the Suez Canal 1 November, the Maritime Administration reactivated Loganís Fort for emergency tanker duty. Acquired by the Navy 28 November, she was assigned to MSTS at Galveston, Tex., 12 December 1956.

 

Between December 1956 and August 1957 Loganís Fort was operated by Mathiasen Tanker Industries, Inc., Philadelphia, Pa., and under General Agency Agreement she carried fuel to American bases in Europe, the Mediterranean, and the Pacific. Transferred to the Maritime Administration 30 August, she entered the Maritime Reserve Fleet in James River, Va. On 3 June 1966 she was transferred to the Army for use as a floating powerplant along the coast of South Vietnam.