Charles Andrews Lockwood was born in Midland, Va., 6 May 1890, and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in the class of 1912. Following brief cruises in Mississippi and Arkansas, and a short tour as instructor in the Naval Training Station, Great Lakes, in September 1914 he reported to the tender Mohican for indoctrination in submarines. By 1 December of that year he had his first submarine command, A-2, followed by B-1. American entry into World War I found him in command of 1st Submarine Division, Asiatic Fleet. From that time, with the exception of a tour on the Asiatic station where he commanded gunboats Quiros and El Cano on the Yangtze Patrol and the destroyer Smith Thompson, practically all his sea service was in and connected with submarines. In addition to those listed above are added G-1, N-5, UC-97 (ex-German). R-25, S-14, and Bonita.
In June 1939 he became Chief of Staff to Commander Submarine Force, U.S. Fleet, in cruiser Richmond. This important service was interrupted in February 1941 when he was sent to London as naval attaché and principal observer for submarines. Following promotion to rear admiral in March 1942 he proceeded to west Australia as Commander, Submarines, Southwest Pacific. In February 1943, he was transferred to Pearl Harbor to become Commander, Submarines, Pacific Fleet, in which capacity he served the rest of the war, being promoted to vice admiral in October 1943. Under his guidance and inspiration in these two commands, U.S. submarines overcame torpedo and other difficulties to destroy the Japanese Merchant Marine and cripple the Imperial Navy. His wartime awards were the Distinguished Service Medal and two gold stars in lieu of second and third awards, and the Legion of Merit. After the war he served as Inspector General of the Navy until his retirement in June 1947.
In retirement at Los Gatos, Calif., he wrote and coauthored best selling books on naval history and submarine operations until his death 7 June 1967.
(DE-1064: dp. 3,877; l. 438'; b. 46'9"; dr. 16'2"; a. 20 k.; cpl. 243; a. 15", ASROC, DASH, 4 21" tt., cl. Knox)
Lockwood (DE-1064), one of the newest and most powerful destroyer escorts, was laid down 3 November 1967 by Todd Shipyards Corp., Seattle, Wash.; launched 5 September 1968; and cosponsored by Mrs. Charles A. Lockwood, the admiral’s widow, and Mrs. John Canty, his daughter. The ship is scheduled to commission in the summer of 1970.
When she joins the fleet, Lockwood will be a valuable addition to the destroyer forces, designed for optimum performance in antisubmarine duty, in addition being well suited to other missions such as search and rescue, patrol, blockade, and surveillance.