Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lioba

 

A star.

 

(AF-36: dp. 7,435; l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 84; a. 1 3"; cl. Adria)

 

Lioba (AF-36) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract 23 June 1944 by Pennsylvania Shipyard, Beaumont, Tex.; launched 27 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. W. B. Porter; acquired by the Navy 17 February 1945; and commissioned 6 March 1945, Lt. Sidney L. Boisdoré in command.

 

After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, the refrigerated cargo ship departed Mobile, Ala., 30 March 1945, for Pearl Harbor en route to Ulithi and Okinawa with mail and cargo for the fighting men pushing towards Japan and victory. Arriving Okinawa 4 June, Lioba supplied fresh meat and provisions to navy ships anchored off Hagushi Beach. Departing a week later, she steamed for New Zealand, arrived 19 June, loaded cargo at Auckland and Napier, and sailed 1 August for Pearl Harbor. Arriving 8 August, she celebrated V-J Day unloading cargo, and departed 24 August for San Francisco. A week later the hard working reefer, loaded with 1,600 tons of fleet issue cargo, again steamed for the western Pacific. After discharging chilled and dry provisions for occupation forces at Guam, Saipan, Tinian and Tokyo, she returned to San Francisco 20 January 1946.

 

Departing 10 February, Lioba made one more cargo run to Yokosuka and the Pacific Islands, returned to San Francisco 10 May, and sailed 2 days later for the east coast. Arriving Hampton Roads 30 May, for the remainder of 1946 she steamed along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean, visiting Boston, Bayonne, Charleston, Puerto Rico, and Trinidad.

 

For the next 9 years, as the U.S. Navy provided the key bulwark for a Europe threatened by communism, Lioba operated with the Service Force, Atlantic Fleet, supporting the Navy’s effort to keep the peace in the North Atlantic and Mediterranean. The ship departed Boston 10 January 1947 for the first of 11 Mediterranean cruises, transporting provisions to the 6th Fleet at Golfe Juan, France, and Naples, Italy.

 

Sandwiched between Mediterranean duty, Lioba completed three training cruises to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and carried fresh meat and supplies to other Navy outposts in the Caribbean.

 

Lioba departed Naples 10 April 1955 for her final passage to the United States, arriving Norfolk the 24th. On 30 July she steamed to Charleston, S.C., where she decommissioned 14 October 1955, and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She remained there until transferred to the Maritime Commission and struck from the Navy list 1 July 1960. She entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet and was berthed in the James River, Va., into 1969.