The first Linnet retained her former name. The linnet is a small songbird of the finch family found in Europe, Africa and Asia.
(YMS-395: dp. 270; l. 136'; b. 24'6"; dr. 8'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 32; a. 1 3", 2 20mm., 2 .50 cal. mg., 2 .30 cal. mg., 2 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. YMS-1)
YMS-395 was laid down by Harbor Boat Building on 11 July 1942; launched 15 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ruth Oliver; and commissioned 20 November 1943, Lt. William V. Byrd in command.
After shakedown off San Pedro, she continued ASW patrols off the California coast until 7 March 1944, when she sailed for Pearl Harbor. The minesweeper then sailed for the Marshall Islands arriving Majuro 18 April. For the next 16 months YMS-395 engaged in patrol operations, convoy escort duty, and minesweeping services in the Marshall and Gilbert Islands. Together with similar ships of her type, she played an important role in defeat of Japan by keeping the staging harbors clear of enemy mines,
After the Japanese surrender, YMS-395 departed Guam 14 September 1945, touching several islands before arriving San Pedro, Calif., 26 October. She remained on the west coast until May 1946 performing experimental minesweeping tests and after arriving Charleston, S.C., on 13 June she continued similar exercises alone the east coast.
YMS-395 was renamed Linnet (AMS-24) on 18 February 1947, and later that month was assigned to the Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Va. From 1947 until 1957 Linnet operated along the west coast and performed experiments and exercises in all phases of mine warfare. She was reclassified MSC(O)-24 on 7 February 1955 and decommissioned at Philadelphia 13 September 1957.
Linnet was placed in service as a Naval Reserve training ship 30 October 1959, and was assigned to the 4th Naval District for duty at Atlantic City, N.J. She continued in this service until 3 September 1968, when she was relieved by Meadow Lark (MSC-196). Placed out of service, Linnet was struck from the Navy list 1 October 1968 for disposal.