Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Linn County

 

Counties in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Oregon.

 

(LST-900: dp. 1,625; l. 328"; b. 50'; dr. 14'1"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 119; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST-511)

 

LST-900 was laid down by Dravo Corp., Pittsburgh, Pa., 1 October 1944; launched 9 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Felix R. Konkle; and commissioned at New Orleans, La., 6 January 1945, Lt. Neil A. McClaflin in command.

 

After completing shakedown off Florida she loaded cargo at New Orleans and sailed for the west coast 9 February. Arriving San Francisco 6 March, she departed 2 days later for Pearl Harbor where she arrived the 17th and began amphibious landing exercises. She cleared Hawaii 24 May; steamed in convoy via Eniwetok, Guam, and Saipan; and reached Okinawa, Ryukyus, 26 June. During the next 2 weeks she discharged cargo and ammunition at Okinawa and Kerama Retto, and, after embarking medical officers and corpsmen, sailed for the Marianas 10 July. She arrived Guam the 16th, thence steamed to Saipan to transport Seabees to the Ryukyus. She debarked her passengers at Ie Shima 7 August and departed for Saipan 2 days before the end of hostilities.

 

Between 3 and 9 September LST-900 steamed from Saipan to Leyte Gulf, Philippines. On the 19th she reached Batangas, Luzon and after embarking Army engineers departed in convoy for Japan 29 September. She reached Tokyo Bay 17 October and discharged occupation troops at Yokohama the next day. On the 28th she departed for the Marianas where she embarked troops at Guam for transfer to the United States. Steaming via Pearl Harbor, she reached Seattle, Wash., 15 December.

 

LST-900 operated along the west coast during the next few months and decommissioned 15 May 1946. While berthed in the Columbia River with ships of the Pacific Reserve Fleet, she was named Linn County 1 July 1955. She was transferred to the Republic of Korea 2 December 1958, and she now serves the Korean Navy as Buk Han (LST-815).

 

LST-900 received one battle star for World War II service.