Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ling

 

A large gadoid marine fish of northern Europe and Greenland.

 

(SS-297: dp. 1,525 (std.), 2,424 (subm.) ; l. 311'6" ; b. 27'3"; dr. 15'3"; a. 20.5 k. (surf.), 8.75 k. (subm.) cpl. 66; a. 1 5", 10 21" tt.; cl. Balao)

 

Ling (SS-297) was laid down 2 November 1942 by Cramp Shipbuilding Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; launched 15 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. E. J. Foy; and commissioned at Boston 8 June 1945, Comdr. George G. Malumphy in command.

 

After shakedown and further installations Ling headed out to sea to test her equipment 15 September 1945. The submarine based at New London until she sailed 11 February 1946 for the Panama Canal Zone, arriving 8 days later. She operated out of Panama until 9 March when she sailed north. She completed inactivation 23 October at New London, decommissioned 26 October 1946, and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. In March 1960, Ling was towed to Brooklyn, N.Y., where she assumed the duties of a training submarine. Reclassified AGSS-297, she has continued to serve in that capacity into 1969.