A rock consisting chiefly of calcium carbonate, which yields lime when burned.
M. C. Hull 1332 was laid down 19 October 1943 by Barrett & Hilp, Belair Shipyard, South San Francisco; launched 31 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. William O’Neill; named Limestone (IX-158) 7 February 1944; and renamed and redesignated Corundum (IX-164) (q.v.) 23 May 1944, prior to her acquisition by the Navy.
(IX-158: dp. 10,970; l. 366'4"; b. 54'; dr. 26'; cpl. 206; a. 1 40mm., 4 20mm.; cl. Trefoil; T. B7-D1-Barge)
M. C. Hull 1338 was laid down 5 January 1944 by Barrett & Hilp, Belair Shipyard, South San Francisco, under a Maritime Commission contract; named Corundum (IX-164) 7 February 1944; launched 25 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Leo Heagerty; renamed and redesignated Limestone (IX-158) 23 May 1944; acquired by the Navy 14 October 1944; and placed in service the same day.
Limestone, a non-self-propelled concrete barge, was towed to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, for use as an Army and Marine Corps stores barge. Unheralded but necessary to the overall war effort, Limestone served near the advance bases in the Pacific until she returned to the United States in 1946. She was placed out of service 12 December 1946 at Seattle, and was sold to Foss Launch & Tug Co., 11 September 1947.