Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lily

 

Any of a large group of plants grown from a bulb, typically having white or colored trumpet shaped flowers.

 

(StTug: t. 50)

 

Lily, a steam tugboat, was built as Jessie Benton, and purchased by the War Department 5 May 1862. Used by the Quartermaster Corps on the western rivers, she was known as Jessie until transferred to the Navy 30 September 1862, Acting Ens. R. H. Smith in command, and renamed Lily 19 October. Assigned to Rear Adm. David Dixon Porterís Mississippi Squadron, she served on the river, including duty during the Vicksburg campaign, and was sunk near Chickasaw Bayou in the Yazoo River in collision with ironclad ram Choctaw 28 May 1863.