Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lilac

 

A shrub found in Europe and North America noted for its large panicles of fragrant pink-purple flowers.

 

II

 

(Str: dp. 643; l. 155'; b. 27'; dr. 12'3"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 24)

 

Lilac, a lighthouse tender built at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1892, operated with the U.S. Lighthouse Service until transferred to the Navy by executive order of 11 April 1917. Lilac patrolled off the east coast and in the Caribbean until the Lighthouse Service was returned to the Department of Commerce 1 July 1919.