Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Liguria

 

A minor planet of the 11th magnitude discovered by Charlois at Nice, France, 21 January 1893.

 

(AKS-15: dp. 5,244; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; S. 12.5 k.; cpl. 195; a. 15", 13", 8 20mm.; cl. Acubens; T. EQ-S-C1)

 

Liguria (AKS-15) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by the New England Shipbuilding Corp., South Portland, Maine, 19 September 1944; launched 1 November 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Harold Lothrop; acquired by the Navy 20 November 1944; and commissioned 12 July 1945. Lt. Comdr. T. F. Marvin in command.

 

After shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, Liguria loaded stores at the Naval Supply Depot, Bayonne, N.J., and sailed 7 September for the Pacific. While standing out of Pearl Harbor en route to Japan 12 October Liguria helped rescue the crew of a downed Army B-24. After transferring the flyers to submarine chaser PC-485, Liguria steamed on to Japan arriving Sasebo 31 October.

 

For the next 6 months, the ship operated independently in the Yellow Sea, transporting passengers, stores, and cargo for the occupation of South Korea and the forces afloat along the northern coast of China. She unloaded provisions at Fusan and Jinsen, South Korea, and at Tientsin, Tsingtao, and Shanghai, China.

 

Liguria departed Shanghai 22 April 1946 for the west coast arriving San Francisco 21 May. She sailed for Pearl Harbor 1 month later arriving 29 June. Liguria was subsequently towed to San Francisco, stripped, transferred to the Maritime Commission 25 April 1947, and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet. Into 1969 she is berthed at Suisun Bay, Calif.