Former name retained; Libertad means “liberty” in Spanish.
(Sch.: a. 1 9 pdr.)
Libertad was built as a merchant schooner on the west coast of lower Mexico for service along the southern California seaboard. Captured from the Mexicans in company with schooner Fortuna at Lorela, Calif., 1 October 1846 by 18-gun sloop-of-war Cyane under Comdr. S. F. DuPont, the schooner was fitted for duty as a tender and was placed in service in the Navy early in 1847, Lt. T. A. M. Craven in command. Operating with Commodore Robert F. Stockton’s Pacific Squadron throughout the remainder of the Mexican War, she serviced numerous Navy ships on blockade off Mexico until the end of the war in February 1848 and then was sold at public sale.