Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Liberator

 

One who frees or sets at liberty (a country) from domination by a foreign power.

 

__________

 

Liberator, a 44-gun frigate built in 1826, was purchased by the U.S. Navy when the original purchasers, Greek revolutionists against Ottoman Empire rule, defaulted in payment. Renamed Hudson (q.v.) for service in the Navy, she was the last privately built sailing frigate of the Navy.

 

II

 

(AMc-87: dp. 195; l. 97'1"; b. 22'; dr. 9'; s. 10 k.; a. 2 .50 cal. mg., 2.30 cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)

 

The second Liberator (AMc-87) was laid down 5 May 1941 by F. L. Fulton Works, Antioch, Calif.; launched 6 September 1941; sponsored by Miss Pay Hill; and placed in service 22 February 1942, Lt. (jg.) James. W. Dawnes in command.

 

Assigned to the 13th Naval District, Liberator operated out of Puget Sound until she sailed for Alaska in April 1944. She swept the Alaskan shipping lanes and returned to the 13th Naval District in September. Reclassified IX-202 on 20 December 1944, Liberator was used as a general utility ship until she was placed out of service 3 May 1945. She was turned over to WSA 2 July 1946 for disposal.