The first Leyden retained her merchant name; the second was named for the first.
(IX-167: dp. 2.500; l. 291'2"; b. 51'; dr. 18'; s. 15 k.)
Leyden (IX-167), formerly Northland, was built by Harlan & Hollingsworth Corp., Wilmington, Del., in 1911. During the first part of World War II, she operated as a transport with the British Navy. She was assigned the name Leyden (IX-167) 18 May 1944; acquired by the Navy and commissioned 22 May 1944, Lt. William S. Johnson in command.
From her commissioning until July 1945, Leyden operated as a naval auxiliary in British staging areas and French ports during the final European campaigns of World War II. Leyden decommissioned at Falmouth, England, 23 July 1945 for return to the WSA, and was sold to the Fu Chung International Corp., 7 November 1946. She was renamed Hung Chong.