to DANFS IndexReturn to Naval Historical Center
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060
A former name retained.
(Ship: 308 tons)
Lewis, a former whaling ship, was purchased at New London, Conn.,
28 October 1861 for use with the “Stone Fleet,” a Union Navy campaign to load
old ships with heavy stones and sink them as obstructions in the island channels
off Confederate-controlled ports. Lewis
departed New London in company with two dozen
other stone whalers on 20 November and sailed for the Georgia coast, arriving off Savannah Harbor
two weeks later. The stone whaler did not reach her destination, however, as
she ran aground on Tybee
Island, bilged, and
eventually broke up.