The first Leslie retained her Army name; the second Leslie was named for the first.
(ScTug: t. 100)
Leslie was a screw tug borrowed from the Army by the Navy early in 1861 for duty at the Washington Navy Yard. On 9 March 1862, she alerted Union naval forces defending Washington of the threat from Confederate Ironclad Virginia. However, while she steamed to the mouth of the Potomac with word of Virginia’s brilliantly successful and ominous foray, plucky Monitor was fighting the dreaded Confederate Ironclad to a standstill and neutralizing the threat to the Union capital.
During 1862 and 1863 Leslie served as tender to the Potomac Flotilla. Thereafter, she served at the Washington Navy Yard until returned to the Army at Baltimore 2 June 1865.