A large and ferocious spotted cat of southern Asia and Africa.
(IX-122: dp. 15,425; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 27'9"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 97; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; T. Z-ET1-S-C3; cl. Armadillo)
Leopard (IX-122) was laid down as William B. Bankhead 5 October 1943 by Delta Shipbuilding Co., New Orleans, La., under a Maritime Commission contract; renamed Leopard 27 October 1943; launched 15 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. William B. Bankhead; acquired by the Navy 24 December 1943; and commissioned 26 December 1943, Lt. G. C. Foltz in command.
Originally designed to carry dry cargo, Leopard was converted to a tanker, and departed Key West 18 January 1944 for the southwest Pacific. Arriving Borabora, Society Islands, 27 February, she performed harbor fueling operations out of Australia and New Guinea until mid-April when she sailed for the Admiralty Islands. For the rest of the war, Leopard continued harbor fueling duties in the vicinity of New Guinea.
Following V-J Day, the tanker departed Seeadler Harbor 30 August 1945 and arrived Manila Bay 9 September where she performed similar services. Leopard remained in the Philippines until she sailed for the United States 19 March 1946 arriving Norfolk 11 May. She decommissioned there 21 June 1946 and was delivered to WSA the same day for disposal. Her name was struck from the Navy list 3 July 1946.