A former name retained.
(SP-399: t. 119; l. 168'; b. 22'6"; dr. 11'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 36; a. 4 6-pdrs., 2.30 cal. mg.)
Legonia II, a steam yacht, was built in 1909 by Pusey & Jones, Wilmington, Del.; purchased by the Navy 6 June 1917 from her owner, William B. Hurst, Baltimore, Md.; taken over 9 June 1917; enrolled in the Naval Coast Defense Reserve 12 June 1917; and commissioned 14 June 1917 at Baltimore, Lt. Comdr. Hm. L. Walker in command.
Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Legonia II operated out of Norfolk throughout World War l. She served as a messenger and dispatch ship, as well as flagship of the Commandant, 5th Naval District; and these duties sent her from Norfolk to Washington, Annapolis, and Baltimore. In addition she served as a harbor and coastal guard ship off Cape Henry; she patrolled the submarine nets; and she escorted arriving and departing merchant ships through the defensive sea area of Hampton Roads.
After the Armistice, she continued to serve as 5th Naval District flagship. Legonia II decommissioned 1 August 1921 and was sold 30 September 1921 to Dr. John M. Masury, Norfolk, Va.