A former name retained.
(ScStr: t. 3,497; l. 321'; b. 43'2"; dr. 17'6"; cpl. 680)
Lawton, a cargo ship, was built in 1890 as Yumuri by Delaware River Co., Chester, Pa.; purchased by the Navy 19 April 1898; converted to an auxiliary cruiser and renamed Badger (q.v.); transferred to the War Department 7 April 1900 and renamed Lawton; returned to the Navy 12 November 1902; and commissioned at Mare Island, Calif., 18 April 1905, Comdr. William Winder in command.
Lawton, departed San Francisco 15 May 1905 for the Philippine Islands. After stops at Honolulu and Guam, she arrived Cavite 26 June with supplies for the Asiatic Squadron. During the next 14 months Lawton made three additional cargo runs from San Francisco to the Far East, visiting Chinese and Japanese ports on her fourth voyage. Returning San Francisco 14 October 1906 from her final cruise, Lawton decommissioned there 17 November 1906 and was struck from the Navy list 24 April 1907. She served in the Pacific as the passenger steamer Rose City until she was reduced to a barge in 1930.