Sir John Lawson commanded the British ship Fairfax during the First Anglo-Dutch War (1652-54) and fought in the Three Days Battle (18-20 February 1653), the Battle off the North Portland (2 June 1653), and the decisive Battle of Scheveningen (31 July 1953).
(DE-518: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; a. 21.5 k.; cpl. 198; a. 3 3", 9 20mm., 2 dct., 4 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.); cl. Evarts)
DE-518 was laid down 9 July 1943 by the Boston Navy Yard; launched 13 August 1943; transferred to the United Kingdom under lend lease 15 November 1943; and commissioned as HMS Lawson the same day. She served the Royal Navy as a frigate during the remainder of World War II. She patrolled the Atlantic shipping lanes and supported the Allied invasion of Europe at Normandy. Following the defeat of the Axis powers, the British sailed her to the United States 12 March 1946, and she was returned to the custody of the U.S. Navy at Philadelphia 20 March. Her hulk was sold for scrap 31 January 1947.