Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Lavender

 

A European mint with spikes of small lilac-purple flowers cultivated for its aromatic oil.

 

(ScStr: t. 173; l. 112'; b. 22'; dph. 7'6"; cpl. 23; a. 2 24-pdrs.)

 

Lavender, a tug built at Philadelphia in 1864 as Mayflower, was purchased there by the Navy 25 May 1864.

 

Ordered to proceed off Charleston for duty with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Lavender, acting Master John H. Gleason in command, departed the Delaware Capes 11 June. Shortly before midnight on the 12th, she struck a reef off North Carolina during a severe squall. Efforts to get her free were thwarted when water entered her engineroom and put out her fires. The wooden steamer was completely wrecked and nine of her crew were lost before Army steamer John Farrow rescued 14 survivors 3 days later.