Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Laurel

 

A genus of lauraceous trees or shrubs whose foliage was used by the ancient Greeks to crown the victors in the Pythian games and as a mark of distinction for certain offices.

 

II

 

(ScStr: dp. 218; l. 105'; b. 22'; dr. 6'1"; cpl. 15)

 

The second Laurel, a wooden lighthouse tender built in 1915, was transferred to the Navy with the entire Lighthouse Service by Executive order in 1917. She operated on the Great Lakes servicing lighthouses throughout the war and was returned to the Department of Commerce 1 July 1919.