Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Laura Reed

 

A former name retained.

 

(SP-2009: t. 22; l. 52'; b. 16'2"; dr. 7'6"; s. 5 k.; cpl. 11; a. none)

 

Laura Reed, an auxilary schooner, was built in 1895 in Noak, Conn.; chartered by the Navy 27 November 1917 from her owner, Henry L. Galpin, New Haven, Conn.; enrolled in the Naval Coast Defense Reserve 30 November 1917; taken over 3 December; and commissioned 6 December 1917 at New Haven, Boatswain’s Mate Sydney B. Dexter, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to the 3d Naval District, New York, Laura Reed operated out of New Haven as a patrol boat and a training boat for Yale University Naval Unit. After the Armistice she was returned to her owner 7 January 1919.