Las Vegas Victory
Las Vegas is a popular tourist city, and the county seat of Clark County, Nev.
(AK-229: dp. 4.480; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 29'2"; s. 15.5 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; cl. Boulder Victory)
Las Vegas Victory, a cargo ship, was launched 1944 by Permanents Metals Corp., Richmond, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. E. W. Cragin; acquired by the Navy 25 October 1944 and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. William P. Lally in command.
After shakedown along the west coast. Las Vegas Victory departed Astoria, Oreg., 26 November for the Pacific islands. Sailing via Eniwetok and Ulithi, the cargo ship arrived Kossol Passage, Palau Islands, 31 December, laden with 7,600 tons of vital ammunition.
From January to March 1945, Las Vegas Victory shuttled ammunition among the Caroline and Marshall Islands, and replenished the fighting ships as they moved closer to the Japanese homeland. Departing Ulithi 25 March, she sailed for the rendezvous with units heading for Okinawa. Making her way through submarine infested waters, the cargo ship arrived off Okinawa on the 31st, and replenished two escort carriers with ammunition.
On 1 April the invasion of Okinawa started the removal of the last barrier “on the road to Japan.” Under constant attack by Japanese suicide pilots, Las Vegas Victory passed ammunition to battleships, carriers, destroyers, and LCTs until late May. Arriving San Pedro, Leyte, 10 June, she loaded more ammunition and sailed for Eniwetok 19 July.
Upon her arrival 1 week later, she was assigned to the Pacific Service Force. Las Vegas Victory supported American forces in the Pacific until 7 November when she departed Eniwetok for the United States. The cargo ship arrived Port Discovery, Wash., 19 November; sailed for San Francisco 15 February 1946; and decommissioned there 8 April for redelivery to WSA. She entered the National Defense Reserve Fleet and at present is berthed at Puget Sound, Wash.
Las Vegas Victory received one battle star for World War II service.