Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Laramie River

 

A river in southeastern Wyoming which empties Into the North Platte River.

 

(LSMR-513: dp. 790; l. 206'; b. 35'; dr. 8'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 147; a. 1'5", 4 40mm., 8 20mm., 4 4.2"m., 20 rkt.; cl. LSMR-401)

 

Laramie River (LSMR-513) was laid down as LSMR-513 by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex., 21 April 1945; launched 19 May 1945; and commissioned 9 July 1945, Lt. Robert E. Miles in command.

 

After shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, LSMR-513 sailed to the Great Lakes during October, then returned to Little Creek, Va., 15 November for additional training. Departing Little Creek 29 January 1946, she steamed to the Caribbean for winter maneuvers with various landing craft. Upon return to Little Creek 24 March she participated in amphibious exercises in Chesapeake Bay for the remainder of the year. From 1947 until April 1948, LSMR-513 continued amphibious training along the east coast and in the Caribbean, then decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 12 April 1948. While berthed with the Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet, LSMR-513 was named Laramie River 1 October 1955.